WHAT IS ATTENDANCE VERIFICATION?
In order to comply with federal student aid requirements, instructors must verify
students listed on their class roster(s):
- that are attending
- those who have stopped attending
- those who have never attended (including students who have dropped or withdrawn after
the first week of classes or may still appear as enrolled in the class).
WHEN IS ATTENDANCE VERIFICATION?
At the end of Add/Drop the Registrar's Office contacts class instructors to request
that they verify their class roster via POUNCE.
The dates of attendance verification are located on the Parts of Term Calendar.
WHY DO WE DO
The Office of the Registrar is charged with maintaining accurate records of class
enrollment. Conducted once each regular term, the faculty attendance verification
process serves two important purposes:
1. To ensure that university records are accurate and complete and that faculty have
reliable class lists on which to post student grades at the end of term:
- Students who are reported as enrolled, but not-attending are notified to return to
class and to contact their instructors for appropriate academic guidance to complete
the class. If they do not intend to complete the class, students are advised to make
enrollment adjustments prior to midterm.
- Students who are reported as attending, but not enrolled are instructed to register
in the class, as appropriate.
NOTE: Students who are attending to remove a prior grade of incomplete are not required
to re-enroll in the course.
- Students who are completing the course, but in a different class section from their
enrolled class, are generally changed to the class they are attending.
2. In order to comply with federal regulations, Augusta University must confirm the
presence in class of students receiving financial assistance through federal and state
student assistance programs. Federal regulations require the institution to confirm
students are attending classes before Financial Aid will be released.
TIPS FOR INSTRUCTORS
- Attendance verification impacts student billing and financial aid!
- If a course has a first meeting date in the future, it will show as unavailable for
verification. Classes meeting for the first time after the attendance verification
deadline must have a method of verifying attendance (i.e. D2L activity date, student
submitted statement that they have read and understand the syllabus, etc).
- If a student is not listed on your roster, please submit the Registration Exception Form, if you approve adding them to the class. Otherwise, please provide us with the
student name and ID so that we can communicate with them.
- Do not use attendance verification for attendance tracking. It is to be used to indicate
if a student has attended/participated in at least one class.
- Students will be dropped if you select Did Not Attend. Please check behind yourself
to ensure your submission is correct.
- If an instructor mistakenly drops a student for non-attendance, they must contact
the Registrar's Office via their AU email within 24 hours to request for the student
to be reinstated. Email email@example.com.