WHAT IS ATTENDANCE VERIFICATION?
In order to comply with federal student aid requirements, instructors must verify
students listed on their class roster(s):
- that are attending
- those who have stopped attending
- those who have never attended (including students who have dropped or withdrawn after
the first week of classes or may still appear as enrolled in the class).
- students who have not attended, but have requested instructors to “hold their seat”
in the class as they plan to attend
WHEN IS ATTENDANCE VERIFICATION?
At the end of Add/Drop the Registrar's Office contacts class instructors to request
that they verify their class roster via POUNCE.
The dates of attendance verification are located on the Parts of Term Calendar.
WHY DO WE DO
The Office of the Registrar is charged with maintaining accurate records of class
enrollment. Conducted once each regular term, the faculty attendance verification
process serves two important purposes:
1. To ensure that university records are accurate and complete and that faculty have
reliable class lists on which to post student grades at the end of term:
- Students who are reported as enrolled, but not-attending are notified to return to
class and to contact their instructors for appropriate academic guidance to complete
the class. If they do not intend to complete the class, students are advised to make
enrollment adjustments prior to midterm.
- Students who are reported as attending, but not enrolled are instructed to register
in the class, as appropriate.
NOTE: Students who are attending to remove a prior grade of incomplete are not required
to re-enroll in the course.
- Students who are completing the course, but in a different class section from their
enrolled class, are generally changed to the class they are attending.
2. In order to comply with federal regulations, Augusta University must confirm the
presence in class of students receiving financial assistance through federal and state
student assistance programs. Federal regulations require the institution to confirm students are attending classes
before Financial Aid will be released.