Student Emergency Fund
Augusta University recognizes the need to provide one-time, limited financial assistance to currently enrolled students who are unable to meet immediate and essential expenses because of an extreme personal hardship due to unexpected circumstances.
The Division of Enrollment and Student Affairs established the AU Student Emergency Fund, administered by the Dean of Students Office and the Office of Student Financial Aid, to provide limited financial assistance to enrolled students facing temporary hardship related to an emergency, such as an accident, illness, death of a family member, natural disaster, or other unforeseen circumstance.
How the Fund Operates
Students who are experiencing financial emergencies and who have found other resources unavailable or insufficient are encouraged to submit an application to the AU Student Emergency Fund through the Office of the Dean of Students. Referrals on behalf of students also come to the Office of the Dean of Students from other members of the AU community.
Applicants may be required to meet with the Associate Dean of Students to discuss
their application. Staff in the office of Student Financial Aid will review the submitted
applications and determine any appropriate funding amount. These funds are intended
to be one-time financial assistance outside of existing financial aid and do not have
to be repaid.
Emergency Funds are available for both undergraduate and graduate students. Graduate students may also be required to meet with the Vice Dean of the Graduate School. (Funds may be limited up to $500)
Types of Expenses that May Be Covered
A range of circumstances may result in financial hardships. Typical expenses covered include, but are not limited to:
- Medications or other health-related costs
- Rent, utilities, or other essential household expenses
- Books or other essential academic expenses
- Personal safety needs (e.g. changing a lock)
- Replacement of essential personal belongings due to natural disaster, fire, theft, or other unforeseen circumstance
- Travel costs related to a death or serious illness in the immediate family
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled student at the Augusta University and have temporary financial hardship resulting from an emergency.
- As requested, applicant must be able to provide sufficient documentation of financial hardship.