Independent Student Travel External Programs are programs for our undergraduate and
graduate students who want to participate in an international experience other than
those listed on our programs page or Independent Student Travel page.
This can include an interest in a semester-long program, a location we don't currently
offer, a third party-provider, going through a different university, directly enrolling
in a foreign university and more.
Options to Consider
Go through a different American university as a transient student
- Other universities may interest you because they go to a different location, go for
a longer time period, or study a language that we do not offer.
- This option allows you to go on a different university's study abroad program for
a summer/semester/year, but return back to Augusta University after your program.
- If you are interested in this option, we always suggest going through another University
System of Georgia (USG) school. There is a better chance that your financial aid can
- Explore the USG Study Abroad Directory of USG schools participating in study abroad programs.
Directly enroll in a foreign university as an international student
- This is a great option for those looking for a fully immersive and often language-intensive
- With this option, you would become an "international student" at that university
Participate in a third-party provider program
- Third-party providers are essentially organizations whose sole purpose is to provide
study abroad programs.
- These organizations are not necessarily affiliated with a specific U.S. school
- Some providers specialize in certain experiences, courses, languages, and/or locations.
This may require quite a bit of research to find the best program for you.
- Some places to begin researching third party providers are on the websites below:
If you are interested in internships abroad, please refer to the Augusta University Career Services to explore those opportunities.
Note: All IST students, regardless of which program or method you choose, will need
to complete the paperwork listed on the IST homepage.