We equip students with the resources needed to become independent biomedical researchers
and further prepare them to become leaders in their fields.
Complete a common core in biomedical science, then choose from 9 programs of study:
- Biochemistry & Cancer Biology: Darren Browning, PhD & Bal Lokeshwar, PhD Program Directors
- Cellular Biology & Anatomy: Mark Hamrick, PhD Program Director
- Genomic Medicine: Ashok Sharma, PhD Program Director
- Molecular Medicine: Lynnette McCluskey, PhD Program Director
- Neuroscience: Darrell Brann, PhD Program Director
- Oral Biology: Regina Messer, PhD Program Director
- Pharmacology: John Johnson, PhD Program Director
- Physiology: Adviye Ergul, PhD & Paul O'Connor, PhD Program Directors
- Vascular Biology: David Stepp, PhD Program Director
Students are admitted via a common admissions process to the biomedical sciences PhD
program, not to a specific major. After completing first-year core course work and
laboratory rotations, the student chooses a dissertation research mentor and enters
one of nine PhD majors based on that faculty member’s program affiliation. In each
program, students complete a PhD dissertation based on original research.
Students accepted into the biomedical sciences PhD program will be considered on an
annual basis for a Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA) appointment.
For 2017/2018 the GRA package includes:
- stipend support ($25,500/year)
- a reduced tuition rate of $25/semester
- payment of the health insurance premium for enrollment in the standard Augusta University
student (individual) health insurance program