The Layman Family Scholarship
Established by MCG School of Nursing alumna Debbie Layman (BSN, 1978), to assist outstanding
pre-licensure nursing students who have a desire to contribute to the Latino community.
Priority will be given to applicants who:
- Currently enrolled and in good academic standing;
- Demonstrates competence and a strong interest in Hispanic/Latino heritage and culture;
- Fluent in Spanish;
- Preference given to current or former employees and/or a children of a current or
former employees of Layman Wholesale Nurseries.
** If no student meets criteria 2 - 4, the selection can be made at the discretion
of the CON Scholarship Committee.
Application Criteria and Submission
- Provide two (2) recommendations, one from a Augusta University faculty member, using
the Scholarship Recommendation Cover Sheet and Scholarship Recommendation Form.
- Submit a copy of the most recent Augusta University transcript (will be pulled by
the College of Nursing Student Affairs Office).
- Using the Scholarship Application Cover Sheet submit a compelling one page essay (maximum
400 words, typed Times New Roman 12 pt. double-space):
a. Describing your community involvement (i.e. volunteer work or involvement in school
or community organizations) and what you have learned through these experiences;
b. Discussing how you plan to utilize your education to contribute to their communities,
specifically in assisting the Latino community;
c. Providing specific background on how you acquired Spanish fluency and any other
information that supports evidence of fluency; and
d. Describing your financial need.
Please click on the link below to apply for this scholarship: