Master of Science in Medical Illustration
Master of Science in
- Program strengths in visual storytelling, surgical and anatomical illustration, and animation
- Outstanding training from the sciences (e.g. gross anatomy histology) to the arts ( In addition, (e.g. digital media and illustration techniques)
- Close-knit, supportive community of creative and talented students and faculty
- Award winning faculty who are leaders in their specialties
- High employment in the field of medical illustration for our graduates
- Accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
About the Program
Established in 1948, the Medical Illustration Graduate Program at Augusta University is the oldest and longest accredited graduate program in medical illustration. It is one of four programs in North America accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
Our 21-month program combines training in science, research and artistic techniques. To better prepare our students for a rapidly evolving world of communications, our award winning faculty guide the students through problem-based assignments that are designed to give them not only factual knowledge but practical experience as well. Our students also learn the fundamentals of storytelling for science in many mediums including: illustration, animation and interactive media.
We have a long track record of producing the top medical illustrators, medical animators and entrepreneurs in the field of medical illustration. As a student in the Medical Illustration program at August University, you will be exposed to vast amounts of information in the classroom and through real-world experiences that will prepare you to excel in the field of medical illustration. This multifaceted educational approach allows our students to have 97.67% positive placement after graduation.
We are seeking bright and talented artists from a broad range of backgrounds. Many of our students come from art or science fields and there is no set path as long as our prerequisites are met. Our students have a desire to make an impact with their art and this career allows them to combine art with science. Applicants have included fine art majors, biologists, emergency medical technicians, surgeons and veterinarians.