Prior to admission, the following prospective students are advised in the Academic
Advisement Center (University Hall 262):
- Early Childhood
- Middle Grades
- Special Education
- Secondary Education
Criteria for Admission to Teaching and Leading
Admission to Teaching and Leading is separate from admission to Augusta University.
Only students who have been fully accepted to Augusta University and who satisfy the
following criteria will be considered for admission to Teacher and Leading. In some
fields of study, additional requirements may apply. Students should check with the
appropriate department to determine these special requirements.
- Both transfer and AU students must earn a minimum Overall GPA of 2.75 (4.0 scale)
on all attempted hours in the system core curriculum in areas A-F, as required for
- For students in the early childhood, middle grades, secondary, and P-12 programs.
For secondary and P-12 students, a cumulative grade point of at least 2.75 (4.0 scale)
is required on all upper division courses taken as part of the major in which the
student is seeking certification.
- Successful performance on the GACE Program Admissions Assessment (click here for GACE
information). Note: Students may exempt the GACE Program Admission Assessment if one
of the following is satisfied:
- SAT – Combined score of 1000 using verbal and math scores
- ACT – Combined of 43 using verbal and quantitative scores
- GRE – Combined score of 297 using quantitative & verbal scores
- A record free of criminal, disciplinary, and psychological problems.
- Verification of physical health appropriate to the requirements of a classroom teacher.
Once a student has completed the above requirements and is ready to apply to Teaching
and Leading, Academic Advisement will notify the College of Education. It is the candidate’s
responsibility to complete the formal application as described below. Admission to
a Teaching and Leading program is a prerequisite for all upper division level professional
education courses. A student must be admitted into a Teaching and Leading Program
in order to register for these courses.
The deadlines for submitting an application to a Teaching and Leading Program are:
- November 15 for Spring admission
- April 15 for Fall admission
Follow these directions to apply for admission:
- Download the one page application for admission to Teaching and Leading.
- Complete the Teacher Candidate Applicant Information on page 1 of the application.
- Submit the application with a copy of your advising checklist and proof of registration
for the required assessments to Mrs. Macy Rice in the College of Education (University
Hall Suite 366).
- The application process cannot be completed until grades are posted for the current
semester. You will be notified once a decision is made.
- If you are accepted into a Teaching and Leading program, you will be required to attend
an orientation session and meet with your new advisor. Only then will you be able
to register for your classes.
For additional information, contact:
envelope-o icon Mrs. Macy Rice
College of Education