THE SANDRA WALLER NEVILLE MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP
Sandra Waller Neville grew up in Augusta, graduating from Butler High School. She worked as a dental hygienist in several offices around Augusta during her career and was a passionate advocate for dental hygiene.
Sandra was an active member of the now dissolved CSRA Dental Hygiene Society for many years, holding officer positions of treasurer, president elect, and president. For many years, she donated meeting space and was always available to do what was needed to support the society.
This scholarship endowment was formed to not only honor Sandra, but honor dedication to the dental hygiene community. Sandra inspired her patients to improve their oral health care, with "show, tell, do" techniques. Her patients admired her, and she brought happiness and love to all with a one-of-a-kind ability to make people smile. She inspired others by her upbeat attitude and zest for life.
CRITERIA: The scholarship applicant must:
1) must currently be enrolled at Augusta University
2) must be in the last year of dental hygiene undergraduate program with plans to graduate in May
3) must have earned a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above in all dental hygiene course work at Augusta University
4) must include with application a letter of recommendation from a faculty member, a mentor or someone within the community other than a family member
5) must be a resident of Georgia or South Carolina residing in the CSRA.
Qualifying counties within the CSRA
- Wilkes, Burke, Lincoln, McDuffie, Warren, Glasscock, Jefferson, Richmond and Columbia in Georgia. Aiken and Edgefield in South Carolina.
Essay Topic: State how you intend to emulate Sandra Neville and the ideals she brought
to the dental hygiene profession. How can you impact your profession and community
like Sandra did to "pay it forward"?
- Essay must be double-spaced in 12 found size and not exceed two pages
The application must include a single page cover letter. Please include: Name, address, contact number or e-mail. Application MUST include student ID number.