James M. Hull College of Business
Yann B. Ferrand is an Assistant Professor of operations management in the Hull College of Business at Augusta University, where he teaches operations management and healthcare operations management courses, and conducts research in the field of operations management.
My primary teaching interests are: Operations Management, Healthcare Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, and Decision Modeling for Management. My classes blend applications of quantitative tools and managerial thinking for decision making, and I am especially interested in sharing my passion for informed decision making and process analyses.
My primary research interests are in providing innovative solutions in healthcare delivery services through better scheduling and resource allocation, handling uncertainty and variability using optimization and simulation methodologies. The research projects are often applied and joint work with industry partners.
1. Ferrand Y., M. Magazine, U. Rao, T. Glass (2018), “Managing Responsiveness in the Emergency Department: Comparing Dynamic Priority Queue with Fast Track,” Journal of Operations Management; 58-59: 15-26
2. Taaffe K., B. Lee, Y. Ferrand, L. Fredendall, D. San, C. Salgado, D. Shvorin, A. Khoshkenar, S. Reeves, and the Realizing Improved Patient Care through Human-Centered Design in the Operating Room (RIPCHD.OR) Study Group (2018), “The Influence of Traffic, Area Location, and Other Factors on Operating Room Microbial Load,” Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology; 1-7
3. Steward, D., T.F. Glass, Y. Ferrand (2017), “Simulation-Based Design of ED Operations with Care Streams to Optimize Care Delivery and Reduce Length of Stay in the Emergency Department,” Journal of Medical Systems, 41(10): 162
4. Desai V.C., Y. Ferrand, T.M. Cavanaugh, C.M. Kelton, J.J. Caro, J. Goebel, P.C. Heaton (2017), "Comparative Effectiveness of Tacrolimus-Based Steroid Sparing versus Steroid Maintenance Regimens in Kidney Transplantation: Results from Discrete Event Simulation," Medical Decision Making, 37(7): 827-843
5. Ferrand Y., J. Siemens, D. Weathers, L.D. Fredendall, R.G. Pirrallo, M. Bitner, Y. Choi (2016), “Patient Satisfaction with Healthcare Services: A Critical Review,” Quality Management Journal; 23(4):6-22
6. Ward M.J., Y. Ferrand, L.F. Laker, C.M. Froehle, T.J. Vogus, R.S. Dittus, S. Kripalani, J.M. Pines (2015), “The Nature and Necessity of Operational Flexibility in the Emergency Department,” Annals of Emergency Medicine; 65(2): 156-161
7. Ferrand Y., M. Magazine, U. Rao (2014), “Partially Flexible Operating Rooms For Elective and Emergency Surgeries,” Decision Sciences Journal; 45(5): 819-847
8. Ferrand Y., M. Magazine, U. Rao (2014), “Efficient and Responsive Management of Operating Rooms - A Literature Survey,” IISE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering; 4(1): 49-64
9. Ferrand Y., M. Magazine, U. Rao, T. Glass (2011), “Building Cyclic Schedules for Emergency Department Physicians,” Interfaces; 41(6): 521-533
10. Ferrand Y., C.M.L. Kelton, J.J. Guo, M. Levy, Y. Yu (2011), “Using Time-Series Intervention Analysis to Understand Medicaid Expenditures on Antidepressant Drugs” Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy; 7(1): 64-80
11. Ferrand Y., C.M.L. Kelton, K. Chen, H.A. Stafford (2009), "Biotechnology in Cincinnati: Clustering or Colocation?" Economic Development Quarterly; 23(2): 127-140
12. Kelton C.M.L., R.P. Rebelein, P.C. Heaton, Y. Ferrand, J.J. Guo (2008), “Differences in the Cost of Antidepressants Across State Medicaid Programs,” Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics; 11(1): 33-47
13. Kelton C.M.L., R.P. Rebelein, M.L. Dusing, Y. Ferrand, J.J. Guo (2007), “Analysis of Pharmaceutical Products with Large Price Changes in a Regional Hospital System,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Finance, Economics and Policy; 16(2): 61-86
1. Khoshkenar A., K. Taffe, D. San, M. Muhs, L. Fredendall, Y. Ferrand, A. Joseph, “Simulation-based Design and Traffic Flow Improvements in the Operating Room,” Proceedings of the 2017 Winter Simulation Conference, Las Vegas NV, December 3-6, 2017
2. Ferrand Y., M. Magazine, U. Rao, “Comparing Two Operating-Room-Allocation Policies for Elective and Emergency Surgeries,” Proceedings of the 2010 Winter Simulation Conference, Baltimore MD, December 5-8, 2010
3. Raturi A., B. Bischescu, Y. Ferrand, R. Apana, “The Antecedents and Consequences of Plant Closing Announcement,” Proceedings of the POMS 20th Annual Conference, Orlando FL, May 1-4, 2009