Specializing in TMD, Facial Pain, Oral Lesions, Dry mouth, Oral manifestations of
systemic diseases… ...We are the Augusta University Clinical Center for Oral Medicine.
We use a multidisciplinary approach to expertly diagnose, and treat orofacial pain,
orofacial sensory disturbances, and oral mucosal diseases. Additionally, our doctors
collaborate with all dental disciplines, including periodontics, endodontics, and
oral surgery as well as a number of medical disciplines, such as ENT, dermatology,
oncology, neurology, hematology, radiology, surgery, rheumatology and psychiatry.
Additionally, our doctors collaborate with all dental disciplines, including periodontics,
endodontics, and oral surgery as well as a number of medical disciplines, such as
ENT, dermatology, oncology, neurology, hematology, radiology, surgery, rheumatology
What we do
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD)
- Symptoms include headaches, stiff or sore jaw, chewing discomfort, and facial and
tooth pain and may be associated with tooth-grinding habits, trouble sleeping, and
muscle stiffness in the neck and shoulders. Whiplash related injuries from motor vehicle
accidents also can be a cause.
- Sensory (neuropathic pain) and Movement Disorders
- These include tics, parafunctional disorders, and focal dystonias.
- Burning Mouth Syndrome
- (BMS) This often affects the tongue, palate, and/or lips and is associated with symptoms
including burning, dryness, and altered taste.
- Taste & Smell Disorders
- Atypical Orofacial and Tooth Pain
- Facial and Trigeminal Neuralgias
- Oral Cancer ~Oral Complications from Cancer Treatment
- Oral Changes of Systemic Diseases
- Salivary Gland Dysfunction (Sjogren’s Syndrome and I131)
- Infectious and Inflammatory Conditions
- Viral, Bacterial and Fungal Infections ~Benign Growths of the Oral Cavity
- Canker Sores (Aphthous Ulcers)
- Bad Breath (Halitosis)
- Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
- Sleep Breathing Disorders (Sleep Apnea)
- Oral Mucosal Diseases and Dermatologic Conditions of the oral cavity including Lichen
Planus, Pemphigoid, and Pemphigus
- Migraine and Headache Disorders
- Independent Medical Examinations
- Hospital Consultations for oral problems (chemotherapy and radiation mucositis, orofacial
pain, pre-transplant, pre-radiation, pre-chemotherapy dental clearance)
Our Clinical Center
Our state of the art facility is staffed by faculty members who have extensive professional
expertise and experience in all aspects of oral medicine, orofacial pain and clinical
We are the only such center in the Southeast Region and are excited to offer this
service to your patients.
Our Practice Group optimizes the many benefits of a health sciences university. Our
doctors are clinicians, researchers and educators, working to provide quality care
and to continually forge new ground in oral medicine and overall health.