Effective September 6, 2016
All benefits-eligible (fiscal or academic year) faculty positions, with an FTE of
.50 or greater, are required to go through the competitive recruitment process. Limited
Term appointments may go through a modified recruitment process to allow for selected
applicants to be hired through the job opening process. Limited Term positions may
be posted for 3 days (if candidate has been previously identified) or for a longer
period of time to allow for a pool of applicants to select from. Previous faculty
appointments which were considered an exception to recruitment (e.g. Postdoctoral
Fellow to an Assistant Research Scientist or a Resident in their final year to an
Instructor-Limited Term) will be posted internally as a QIC (Qualified Internal Candidate).
- Full-time (1.00 FTE)
Competitive recruitment (full-search) is required for a minimum of 30 days unless
justification is submitted and approved, by Faculty Support Services (and in some
cases by the Office of the Provost), for a waiver of the 30-day posting requirement
and will then be posted for a minimum of 3 days. Positions will be posted on the
Augusta University Faculty Careers website, USG Applicant Clearinghouse, Inside Higher Education website, and one external
resource identified by the hiring department.
- Full-time (1.00 FTE) Qualified Internal Candidate
Positions which would have met the previous exceptions to recruitment (i.e. Postdoctoral
Fellow to an Assistant Research Scientist or a Resident in their final year to an
Instructor-Limited Term). Position will be posted for a minimum of 3 days to the
Augusta University Faculty Careers website only.
- Full-time (1.00 FTE) Limited Term
Job Opening request is required in order to hire an individual into a limited term
appointment. Limited Term positions can be posted for a minimum of 3 days (for an
identified candidate) or 30 days to allow for external applicants to apply - this
will be based on the need of the department. This classification will normally be
used in the case where a full search is being conducted and an individual is being hired
to meet the immediate need(s) of the department. Limited Term appointments are for
an initial year and can be extended one additional year if necessary (not to exceed
two academic/fiscal years). Position will be posted on the Augusta University Faculty Careers website, USG Applicant Clearinghouse, and on the Inside Higher Ed website if a 30-day
- Part-time (.50 - .99 FTE)
Competitive recruitment is required due to benefits eligibility, but will be eligible
for a waiver of the 30-day posting requirement and posted for a minimum of 3 days
to allow applicant(s) to apply.
Part-time non-benefits eligible and clinical/adjunct (non-paid) faculty appointments
do not require competitive recruitment and will be processed via the Template-Based Hire transaction.
Hiring Unit - Assessment of Need for Faculty Recruitment
- Hiring Unit identifies need to initiate recruitment for a benefits-eligible faculty
- The Faculty Position Description (FPD) form will be required if requesting a new position, activating an inactive position,
or if there are any changes to the academic rank or department reporting structure
(please include an updated organizational chart). Information on the FPD include
the proposed funding plan, approval signatures related to the funding plan identified,
and the maximum salary related to the funding identified. Please ensure that the
Dean/Administrative Officer, as the Cabinet Member, has signed the FPD. The FPD should
be submitted Budget Services located in the basement of the AU Annex Building. They can be reached at (706)
- After reviewing Budget Services will forward to HR-Compensation & Performance Management
for processing into PeopleSoft HRMS. HR-Compensation & Performance Management will
notify the hiring unit, and copy HR-Faculty Support Services, when the position has
been created/updated and provide a copy of the final FPD.
- Once the funding for the position has been identified/finalized please submit a Distribution
Change ePAR to establish/update funding information. Any questions regarding this
ePAR transaction should be directed to the Budget Services office at (706) 721-7928.
- The Search Committee Chair (SCC) may be named at this point.
- Identify all recruitment advertising resources and include a resource which is specifically
geared towards the recruitment of female and/or minority applicants. The Augusta
University Office of Employment Equity (OEE) provides several suggestions on their website. They can be reached at 706-721-7285.
Initiating the Search
- Hiring Unit initiates the Job Opening Request in PeopleSoft HRMS. Instructions can
be found at http://www.augusta.edu/hr/documents/ps_training/tam/creatingajobopening_erecruit_051515.pdf
- External Advertisement (MS Word document). Please email to HR-Faculty Support Services
- either to the specialist assigned to your college or to our email account at HUMANRESOURCES_FACULTYSUPPORTSVCS@augusta.edu. Please include your Job Opening Number in the subject line.
- For external/outside advertising, the following information must be included in the
- Augusta University Faculty Careers website.
- Job Opening Number/ID - will be established at the time the Create Job Opening is
saved by the originator (instructions can be found at Peoplesoft_91upgrade page).
- Department Name
- Note: The hiring unit must ensure that the external advertisement is consistent with
the recruitment details included in the Job Opening since it is pertinent to the recruitment
of a qualified applicant. Provides HR-Faculty Support Services with the Word version
of their advertisement via email (this is to assist our office in posting to the USG
Applicant Clearinghouse and Inside Higher Ed websites).
Job Posting Process
- Responsibility: Hiring Unit -
Initiate the 'Create Job Opening,' completing all required field as identified in
the instructions posted on the Human Resources Division PeopleSoft Human Resources Management System 9.1 website.
- Responsibility: Search Committee Chair or Hiring Unit Representative - Confirms the external advertising resource(s) - additional information regarding
diverse recruiting resources can be found on the OEE website. Places the external advertisement - Contact Augusta University Supply Chain Management-Purchasing to secure approval if using the P-card. Krishna Nichols (706-721-9441) is the current
point of contact for these transactions or you may refer to the Augusta University
Purchasing Manual (pg. 15).
- Responsibility: Supply Chain Management-Purchasing - Buyer Responsible for Faculty
Purchasing will confirm position posting to the Augusta University Faculty Careers website prior to assigning a purchase order number or approval to utilize the hiring
- Responsibility: HR-Faculty Support Services - Sends email communication to all USG Applicant Clearinghouse registrant matches notifying
them of the process to apply for a faculty position with Augusta University. Responsibility:
HR-Faculty Support Services (HR-FSS) - Once the job opening request completes the established
approval process, HR-FSS will review, update, and post to the Augusta University Faculty Careers website, the USG Applicant Clearinghouse (ACH), and the Inside Higher Ed website.
Full searches do require a minimum of 30 days posted on the Augusta University, ACH and Inside
Higher Ed websites unless an exception to th 30-day posting requirement has been pre-approved.
- Responsibility: Hiring College - Faculty Search Coordinator - Oversees progress of all active faculty searches within the college.
- Responsibility: Hiring Unit - Search Committee Chair or Designee - (1) Coordinates requirements for outside advertising; (2) Coordinates search committee
meetings; (3) Screens and identifies qualified applicants based on the position posting;
(4) Coordinates candidate's itinerary (e.g. travel, lodging, etc.); (5) Coordinates
campus-wide schedule of candidate interviews; (6) Updates the job opening with the
interview schedule of invited candidates; (7) Updates disposition status' for all
interviewed applicants and ensures that interview evaluations are completed (either
through PSHRMS or paper form uploaded into the appropriate job opening); and (8) Makes
recommendation of final candidate to the department chair/designee.
- Responsibility: Hiring Unit - Department Chair or Designee - (1) Determines effective date of faculty appointment following review of the appropriate
Fiscal Year personnel Action & Payroll Calendar for faculty actions; (2) Contacts the International and Postdoctoral Services Office
(IPSO) for guidelines on hiring foreign nations, when applicable; (3) Develops faculty
offer letter (see offer letter templates)
- Responsibility: Dean/Administrative Officer - (1) Reviews/Approves offer letter; (2) Routes to the Vice President of Academic
& Faculty Affairs (VPA & FA) to begin institutional approval (For all colleges/units
except the Medical College of Georgia (MCG) and The Dental College of Georgia (DCG)).
Must include the final approved copy of the FPD received from HR-Compensation & Performance
Management. Note: MCG and DCG submit offer letter directly to the Provost; (3) The VPA & FA will then route to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
& Provost (and other units/departments as deemed necessary by the Provost) for review
and approval; (4) Provides HR-FSS with a scanned copy of the approved offer letter
and the email notification that the Office of the Provost has approved the letter;
and (5) Mails the original offer letter to the candidate for original signature of
- Responsibility: HR-Faculty Support Services (HR-FSS) - (1) Enters the compensation information for the selected applicant, based on the
approved offer letter; (2) Uploads the scanned copy of the offer letter; (2) Places
the applicant into a 'ready to hire' status; (3) Works closely with the department
regarding the requirements for the faculty appointment packet; and (4) Begins the
faculty on-boarding/appointment process.