While the Study Abroad Office wants to make studying abroad/away as affordable as
possible for our students and to be accommodating as possible, a few rules are essential.
You need to be aware of these policies detailed below. When a trip application is
submitted, be aware of the guiding policy, so that misunderstandings can be avoided.
- A $200 deposit and completed application paperwork is required to hold a student’s
space on a study abroad/away program.
- In some cases a smaller initial deposit is accepted with the balance to be earned
through fundraising efforts. This must be approved PRIOR to the payment.
- After a student makes an initial deposit and completes the application paperwork in
Terra Dotta, the student will be contacted by the Study Abroad Office to enroll in
a “Planning Meeting” workshop. Participation in a workshop is mandatory. It is an
important step in preparing a student for a study abroad/away program. Critical information
is shared that will help guide the traveler on a variety of travel related concerns,
including the financial terms and conditions that govern study abroad and study away
2021 REFUND POlicy
- The Study Abroad Office deposit fee of $200, and any other payments made towards a
Study Abroad program, are refundable if a student withdraws from a program before the deposit deadline, February 1st, 2021.
- Final payments need to be made a minimum of 90 days before travel, and as far ahead
of travel as 120 days, depending upon the trip.
- Students who withdraw from a program before their programs final payment due date will be refunded all payments made towards their program except the $200 deposit fee.
- When a student submits an application for a program they are required to attend a
pre-trip Planning Meeting. In this meeting Study Abroad Office staff review the trip
refund policy and students are required to sign an agreement stating that they will
abide by this policy.
After a programs final payment deadline, if a student withdraws or a program is cancelled for any reason, including health
and safety reasons, students will be refunded any recoverable* costs, minus the $200 deposit fee.
If a student is abroad or away on a program and must come home for any reason, all
trip payments are non-refundable.
Any student withdrawing from a program must notify the Study Abroad Office in writing
by e-mailing email@example.com. This includes any required withdrawal due to
academic or disciplinary misconduct. Refunds will only be given in accordance to the
terms listed above.
All funds from scholarships or fundraising are non-refundable under any circumstance.
*What funds are recoverable? Pre-departure costs are incurred, with many of our vendors requiring deposits or
payments up front. Each of our vendors have their own refund policies. If the costs
of your program upon withdrawal/cancellation have already been paid to our vendors,
or a vendor’s refund policy does not include return of a pre-paid fee, the Study Abroad
Office will be limited in our ability in what we can recover.
- If a student decides they would prefer to travel to another destination at another
date and time they must check with the Study Abroad Office to see if this is allowable (based on timing and space availability).
- The deposit will be transferred if, and only if, both study abroad/away programs are
within the same fiscal year.
- Deposits cannot be transferred to a trip in a future fiscal year. No exceptions.