Frequently Asked Questions

  How do I know if I’ve been a victim of sexual misconduct?

Sexual misconduct is a broad term encompassing any sexual behavior that was committed without effective consent, or an affirmative agreement – through clear actions or words – to engage in sexual activity. The person giving consent must act freely, voluntarily, and with an understanding of his or her actions when giving the consent.

Actions prohibited without effective consent include sexual penetration; sexual touching; sexual harassment; sexual exploitation; stalking; relationship dating and domestic violence; attempted act/accomplice to sexual misconduct; use of alcohol and/or drugs to induce incapacity; and retaliation.

  How do I file a report; what do I do?

For all students and employees, reports can be made by:

  I want to make a report but I am afraid for my safety. What will the university do to protect me?

Augusta University is committed to a safe, hostile free environment for all students, and will work with you on additional safety measures to include housing, counseling services, work/class schedule modifications, campus escort services, letters of “no contact,” extracurricular activities and athletic events.

  Can I file a report without having my identity disclosed?

If an individual requests confidentiality, the Title IX coordinator will take all reasonable requests to investigate and respond to the complaint consistent with the request; however, the investigator may determine that the circumstances warrant immediate action to remove the individual from danger or to prevent further harm.

  What happens after I file a report?

The Title IX Coordinator will assign a Title IX Investigator to interview all parties, gather facts and determine if policy charges are substantiated. The Title IX Investigation report will be distributed to the complainant and respondent and each party will meet with the Title IX Coordinator for next steps in the policy.

If a report was also filed with a law enforcement agency, a separate criminal investigation will likely occur alongside the university process.

  How is the university investigation different from a criminal investigation?

Criminal investigations are done to determine if an individual has broken the law, whereas a university investigation determines whether a student or employee has violated the university’s sexual misconduct policy.

Students and employees found in violation of the university’s code of conduct can face sanctions that limit their participation in academics, athletics and other campus activities, or if the conduct violation warrants, dismissal from the university.

Those found in violation of the law are subject to criminal prosecution, apart from the sanction imposed by the university.

  My roommate was sexually assaulted but won’t file a complaint. What can I do?

Make a report with the Title IX Coordinator and the Augusta University Police Department. Witnesses and third parties can file a report if sexual misconduct is witnessed or otherwise made known.