CLASSES TAUGHT AT Augusta University
- BIOL 1101: Fundamentals of Biology
- BIOL 1107: Principles of Biology I
- BIOL 1108: Principles of Biology II
- BIOL 3350: Histology
- BIOL 3400: Cellular and Molecular Biology
- BIOL 3700: Molecular Laboratory Techniques
- B.S. in Biology and Computer Science- Siena College, Loudonville NY
- M.S. in Bioinformatics- Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta GA
- PhD. in Biomedical Science (Genomic Medicine)- Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
- Postdoctoral Fellow- Medical College of Georgia (Cell Biology), Augusta GA
- Medical School (Histology) Teaching Assistant- Medical College of Georgia, Augusta
I am a transplant here in the south- born and raised in upstate NY
I am an avid NFL fan- rooting on the NY Giants through the good and the bad
I have always been obsessed with the Galapagos Islands, and my wish to go there was
granted in 2014. Truly a once in a lifetime experience I recommend for any biologist!
Although not actively conducting any research I do maintain interest in both subject
areas in which I have studied:
- Elucidation of underlying mechanisms in the development of Type 1 Diabetes among identified
“at-risk” individuals. What roles do genes by gene and gene by environment interaction
have in determine which genetically predisposed individuals will eventually develop
disease, and what protective effects might be preventing other at risk individuals
- Understanding the potential role of extracellular vesicles and exosomes in the process
of aging by studying the microRNA that is contained in these vesicles.
Caught in the Act of Great Teaching, Augusta University Feb 2015
Office of Faculty Development and Teaching Excellence, Augusta, GA
- Pierce J., Roberts, R., Yu, K., Kendall, R., Kaiser, H., Davis, C., Johnson, MH., Hill, WD., Isales, CM., Bollag, W., Hamrick, MW., McGee-Lawrence,
M. Kynurenine suppresses osteoblastic cell energetics in vitro and osteoblast numbers
in vivo. (2020) Experimental Gerontology, 130, art. No. 110818.
- Davis C., Dukes A., Drewry M., Helwa I., Johnson MH., Isales CM., Hill WD., Liu Y., Shi X.,
Fulzele S., Hamrick MW. MicroRNA-183-5p Increases with Age in Bone-Derived Extracellular Vesicles, Suppresses
Bone Marrow Stromal (Stem) Cell Proliferation and Induces Stem Cell Senescence. Tissue Engineering Part A, Nov 2017; 23 (21-22); 1231-1240.
- Hamrick, MW., Dukes A., Arounleut P., Davis C., Periyasamy-Thandavan, S., Herberg S., Johnson MH., Isales CM., Hill WD., Otvos Jr.
L., Belin de Chantemèle EJ. The adipokine leptin mediates muscle- and liver-derived
IGF-1 in aged mice. Experimental Gerontology. July 2015 (Online Pub 7-26-2015) DOI 10.1016/j.exger.2015.07.014
- Dukes A.*, Davis C.*, El Refaey M., Upadhyay S., Mork S., Arounleut P., Johnson M., Hill WD., Isales C.,
Hamrick MW. The aromatic amino acid tryptophan stimulates skeletal muscle IGF1/p70s6k/mTor signaling
in vivo and the expression of myogenic genes in vitro. Nutrition. 2015 Jul-Aug; 31 (7-8): 1018-24.
- Periyasamy-Thandavan, S., S. Herberg, P. Arounleut, S. Upadhyay, A. Dukes, C. Davis, M. Johnson, M.W. Hamrick, C.M. Isales, W.D. Hill. Caloric restriction and the adipokine leptin
alter the SDF-1 signaling axis in bone marrow and in bone marrow derived mesenchymal
stem cells. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology (Online pub 3-26-2015) DOI 10.1016/j.mce.2015.03.001
- Jin Y., Sharma A., Bai S., Davis C., Liu, H., Hopkins D., Barriga, K., Rewers, M., She JX. Risk of T1D progression in islet autoantibody-positive children can be further stratified
using expression patterns of multiple genes implicated in peripheral blood lymphocyte
activation and function. Diabetes. 63: 1-10, 2014.
- Jin Y.*, Sharma A.*, Carey C.*, Hopkins D., Wang X., Robertson DG., Bode B., Anderson SW., Reed J., Steed RD., Steed
L., She JX. The expression of inflammatory genes is up-regulated in peripheral blood of type 1
diabetes patients Diabetes Care. 36(9):2794-802, 2013. *These authors contributed equally.
- Zhi W., Purohit S., Carey C., Wang M., She JX. Proteomic Technologies for the Discovery of Type 1 Diabetes Biomarkers. J Diabetes Science and Technology. 4(4):993-1002, 2010.
- Carey C., Purohit S., She JX. Advances and challenges in biomarker development for type 1 diabetes prediction and
prevention using ‘omic’ technologies. Exp Opinion on Medical Diagnostics. 4(5):397-410, 2010.