Frequently Asked Questions


1. When is the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) open?

The Summerville campus is open from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

2. Why is it when I try calling your office, it is difficult to get through sometimes?

Our office handles hundreds of calls per week during peak times (like registration) making it very difficult to get through. We recommend that you try to find the information you are looking for on our website or on POUNCE. You may also send us an email (Summerville Campus; Health Sciences campus).

3. How do I apply for student aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Augusta University uses the FAFSA information to determine how much aid you will receive. You must complete the FAFSA every year you are in college. The FAFSA is available every January 1st for the upcoming academic year.

4. How can I check the status of my Financial Aid status?

Visit your POUNCE account. POUNCE displays your financial aid awards or any documents needed to process your aid. You must accept or decline any "OFFERED" aid in POUNCE. 

5. Can you discuss my financial aid with my parents or spouse? 

Per the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we cannot discuss your account to another person without your permission. You must sign and submit to our office the Student Consent Form. If the form is not submitted in person, then it must be notarized. 

6. How much in Stafford Direct Loans can I borrow?

A student may borrow the lesser of: 

1. the cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance; or

2. the Department of Education annual maximum loan limits, which vary by program.

Additional information regarding loan limits can be found at

7. Is financial counseling available?

The Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) counsels students upon request. You may contact the Summerville Campus at 706-737-1524 to make an appointment. 

8. Can I receive financial aid for the summer semester?

Yes, it is likely that you can receive financial aid for the summer semester. If you did not attend school full-time during the fall and spring semesters and are a Federal Pell Grant recipient, you may have Pell funding remaining for the summer semester. You should contact our office to inform us that you will be attending during the summer and we will assess your remaining eligibility. As for Direct Loans, if you did not borrow the annual maximum for your grade level over the course of fall and spring semesters, you may also be eligible for additional funds for summer. You must complete and submit the

Direct Loan Request Form

to our office. If you receive the HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship, you will be automatically awarded for summer provided that you remain eligible after the spring semester checkpoint. If you are not a current recipient of the HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship, you must complete and submit the

HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship Request Form

for review. If you have questions regarding other types of aid, please contact our office. 

9. What happens to my financial aid eligibility if I withdraw from all of my classes?

If you receive financial aid and withdraw from all of your classes, it is possible that some of your aid must be returned to the appropriate federal program and/or you may owe a refund to the U.S. Department of Education (ED). This applies to students who withdraw prior to completing 60% of a term. The Augusta University Business Office (Student Accounts Division) performs return of funds calculations. These calculations are based on the percentage of earned aid using a Federal Return of Title IV funds formula established by ED. Student Accounts notifies the OSFA of the amounts of funds that must be returned. The OSFA will notify you if you owe monies to ED. 

10. Does my HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship transfer from my current institution to Augusta University?

It does not automatically transfer. You must complete the

HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship Request Form

and submit it to the OSFA. Once your official transcript(s) have been reviewed by the Admissions Office, your eligibility can be determined. 

11. Can I apply for financial assistance I previously declined? 

Yes, complete the

Financial Aid Adjustment Form

and submit it to OSFA. Your eligibility will then be determined.