Students interested in teaching any subject matter in middle and high school have
the option of pursuing a Secondary Teacher Certification alongside their subject-specific major.
Steps to Completion
- Interested students complete the undergraduate curriculum, with similar requirements
as the subject degree, but choosing courses broader in content.
- After completing the core requirements, interested students must be admitted into
the teacher education program.
- Admitted students will then take the pedagogy and curriculum courses that lead towards
- The final semester will be devoted to student teaching in a local high school.
Areas of Study
Program Admission Requirements
Formal admission into the educator preparation programs is separate from admission
to Augusta University. Only candidates who satisfy the following criteria will be
considered for admission into the Secondary Teacher Certification Program:
- Completion of areas A-F of your track sheet. All candidates must complete EDUC 2110,
2120, and 2130 before entering the program.
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 (Regents) or a GPA of 2.5 (Overall) as a transfer candidate into
- Successful completion of the Educator Ethics – Program Entry Exam (350). This assessment
is not scored but must be completed for program admission. In order to take the ethics
assessment, create or update your MyPSC account on the GaPSC website, choose Augusta University as your program provider and select option 7 as your reason for testing. In one to
two days, you will receive a testing link form ETS. This will allow you to both pay
and complete the assessment.
- Candidates will not be eligible for acceptance until they have submitted the Pre-Service Certification
application available from the Augusta University Certification Office in UH 345.
- A record free of criminal and disciplinary problems.