Code Red Fire Safety Poster

Download "Code Red” poster

The Fire Safety Office (FSO) is part of Environmental Health and Safety and is in place to provide a safe working and learning environment for faculty, staff, students, and visitors at Augusta University. We focus on fire and accident prevention through training, education, and support. We uphold the latest National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes and standards and regularly update our credentials and training.

Our office specializes in all fire-related services, including:

  • Fire and life safety management
  • Accident/injury statistics
  • Annual fire code inspections and hazard surveys
  • Building renovation planning and construction supervision

We maintain active working relationships with members of outside agencies, such as the State Fire Marshall, who may need to engage with Augusta University.

Contact Us

Fire Safety Office

Health Sciences Campus

Pavilion I

AE 2054, 2059



Campus Emergency:


Does every Augusta University building have a fire alarm and automatic sprinklers?
All of the Augusta University buildings, that are required by code to have a fire alarm or sprinklers, have them. Many of the older, smaller, one-story buildings are not required to have either because of the limited operations in the building. This is why it is so important to be familiar with the Code RED Fire Plan.

Do Fire Departments charge area institutions every time they respond to a fire alarm?
No. But the fire department does not respond to every fire alarm in campus buildings. Augusta University Police respond to fire alarms and only call for the Fire Department when they are needed.

How often do the fire extinguishers get checked?
Fire extinguishers are checked in the institution's sensitive areas monthly and in other campus buildings every quarter. They are inspected in detail annually. Extinguishers have to be sent out to be tested and re-certified continuously.

What does it mean when the fire alarm panel is beeping, but the alarm isn't going off?
A trouble condition has occurred in the system. This may mean a detector needs to be cleaned or has been removed by an electrician to keep it from being damaged while some other work is going on. If you hear one beeping call Public Safety to check the system.

How do I report a work-related accident? What happens if I need medical treatment?
Employees involved in an accident are required to complete an Employee's Report of Accident/Injury Form Augusta University 419/80-6800. All accidents must be reported regardless of whether medical treatment is required. The completed form is taken to Employee Health for evaluation during regular business hours. After hours the form is taken to Emergency Services. If treatment is required, a Workman's Compensation claim for the treatment cost is initiated by the Human Resources.

Are Augusta University employees required to participate in fire drills and other emergency procedure testing?
Yes. All staff are required to participate in emergency drills. The only exception would be staff that are involved with administering direct patient care at the time of the drill. Patients and visitors are not required to participate in testing exercises but should be informed as to the nature of the activity.

When do I call Campus Police for problems like spills, strange odors, water leaks, and equipment malfunctions?

Please call the Environmental Health & Safety Office during normal working hours. After hours or holidays, please call Campus Police. A police dispatcher is on staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Someone will always answer the emergency line and call for appropriate help to resolve these incidents.

Does Augusta University have a safety committee? 
Yes. The Campus Safety Committee is appointed with staff from various departments in their respective areas. The committee is a multidisciplinary team with ex-officio members that serve other committees.

When my area is inspected, who is responsible for correcting any of the problems found?
The correction of violations is the responsibility of the area manager where the problem is found. Most issues we cite are operational problems that require a change in the staff practices that can only be brought about by their supervisors.

What happens if I report a safety hazard?
The issue will be investigated and recommendations for improvement will be made. Contact us at the Fire Safety Office at 706-721-3024, or via e-mail, or the EHS feedback form. Often, these issues require renovation (planning, design, approvals, funding, demolition, construction, etc.) and result in a long-term project.