Anesthesia Clinical Research Volunteer Program
In order to protect our patients and staff from potential exposure to COVID-19, we
will temporarily suspend all clinical research volunteer programs in the AU Health
System clinical setting. This does not affect any student enrolled in a health sciences
education or training program.
We offer a clinical research volunteer program which provides individuals the opportunity
to observe clinical research processes. Our program is open to undergraduate and
post-graduate students, private practice clinicians, and individuals from other hospitals.
- Medical school graduates, currently practicing clinician, and physicians with prior
training in a foreign country may apply.
- Any applicant that has graduated from medical school must have completed USMLE Steps
1 (minimum score of 230) and 2 or COMLEX Levels 1 (minimum score of 550) and 2, with
no failed attempts.
- Acceptance to the Clinical Research Volunteer Program is dependent on faculty availability.
The faculty member with whom the research volunteer is working will ensure HIPAA compliance.
- Research volunteers can begin in any month of the academic year except for April or
May. They must commit to a minimum of six months of participation.
- The applicant must obtain the appropriate immigration visa if needed. If an applicant
can commit to nine to twelve months of participation, the department may be willing
to sponsor a J1-Scholar visa application.
- Research volunteers will work within the confines of their IRB-approved research projects.
They will not participate directly in any clinical care.
- Research volunteers will meet with Carol Dickerson on a monthly basis to review research
- Research volunteers will not be permitted in patient care areas (eg, preoperative
clinic, postanesthesia care unit, operating room, intensive care unit) unless the
IRB-approved research project explicitly requires data gathering in these areas.
- Research volunteers must not remove patient information from the hospital and are
strongly advised to work within official working hours.
- Research volunteers will respect departmental workspaces. They are allowed in areas
specifically designated for their use. They are not allowed in such areas as the resident
lounge or call room.
- Participation in the Research Volunteer Program has no direct bearing on future internship,
residency, or fellowship applications.
To apply, email to the coordinator
- Two letters of recommendation from clinical faculty at current practice group or academic
institution. For undergraduate students, a letter from the faculty advisor will suffice.
- Curriculum vitae
- Demonstrated proficiency in English. If medical education was conducted in English,
please submit a copy of your medical school diploma. If medical education was conducted
in another language, send TOEFL score.
- After being accepted to the program, please email: proof of negative PPD (Mantoux testing) within last 12 months, influenza
vaccination if you will be here between September 1 and March 1, and criminal background
user icon Research Volunteer Director: TBD
user icon Research Volunteer Coordinator: Carol Dickerson, MS, MBA| envelope icon email@example.com