Reminder that all existing Excel/PDF billing grids must be upgraded to OnCore Financials
by July 2, 2018.
For additional information or assistance please contact OnCore@augusta.edu or firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Development Services (RDS) provides support for obtaining approval for use
of AU Medical Center, Clinics, Ancillary Services, Medical Records, and Patients (recruited
from or using these services) that will be used during the conduct of a research study.
RDS provides support for accessing the following
hospital resources and services for research purposes:
Using AU Medical Center facilities including hospitals and clinics for research visits
Liaison for AU Medical Center to establish processes for scheduling research visits
or procedures within AU Medical Center locations
Supporting research budget development through Medicare cost analysis, Coverage Analysis,
and prices for AU Medical Centers and AU Medical Associates
Requesting Hospital services such as Radiology, Pathology, Clinical Research Pharmacy,Tumor
Bank, Blood Bank, etc., for research
Accessing data in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and within hospital databases
*+ AU MEDICAL CENTER APPROVAL PROCESS*
- Chart Reviews: Indicate use of AU Medical Center resources on the IRBNet Core Data
form, then notify RDS at CTSRDS@augusta.edu including the following information: IRB number, study title, name of PI
- Studies with billable hospital services are required to use OnCore.
- A study with a billable hospital service will be assigned a code, known as the CPI
number. This is required for scheduling any hospital services.
*+ SCHEDULING AU MEDICAL CENTER SERVICES*
- Study clinic visit where visit and all procedures are billed to the study:
- Call Research Study Line at 6-5500
- Provide patient info (MRN, DOB)
- Reason for Visit/Chief Complaint: "Study"
- The Payer: "Study/Research Plan"
- The Guarantor: CPI# for the study
- Routine clinic visit with study procedures
- Call Research Study Line at 6-5500 and ask that a study visit be created
- Inform scheduler as to the procedures to be billed to the study
- If the study is paying for the lab, obtain the account number for lab (MRN + 4 digits)
to enter on Pathology Request Form
- If no clinic visit but labs are needed:
- Call Research Study Line at 6-5500 and ask that a "lab only" visit be created
- The Payer is the "Study/Research Plan"
- The Guarantor is the Study CPI#
- Obtain account number (MRN + 4 digits) to put on the Pathology Request Form
- Ask Scheduler to "arrive" patient in the system
- Submit tube(s) with Pathology Request Form
If after hours, ask lab staff for "down time" label to be put on tube(s). Provide
study CPI#. Email Sandy Bragg at email@example.com.
- Radiology Procedure for billing to the study:
- Order is written in PowerChart
- Enter in "Order Comments' tab "Bill to Study" and provide study CPI#
- MD "fires" the order
- To schedule, call Radiology at 1-9729, state what services are needed, Payer is "Study/Research
Plan," and the Guarantor is the study CPI#
- Inpatient Study Stay, if study pays for everything
- Admitting physician submits the Advance Directive
- States everything is to be billed to the study
- Inpatient Study Stay, if some items are to be billed to the study
- Email Cheryl Egan (Patient Accounting) at firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 6-3283 and Cindy Wasserlein (AUMA) at email@example.com, ext. 706-828-6412
- Provide the patient name/medical record number, date of inpatient stay item(s) to
be billed to the study, and study CPI#
*+ BILLING FOR AU MEDICAL CENTER RESEARCH SERVICES*
- Study contact receives bill and verifies charges
- Check request is generated by study staff
- If bill is inaccurate, contact Cheryl Egan (Patient Accounting) at firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 6-3283 and/or Cindy Wasserlein (AUMA) at email@example.com, ext. 706-828-6412
- Revised bill will be sent if required
How can investigators and research staff avoid study billing pitfalls?
- Work closely with RDS to see that your study is set up correctly
- Be sure your research team follows established study scheduling and billing processes
- Know who is responsible for reviewing study bills for your study
- Contact RDS with questions at CTSRDS@augusta.edu
*+ IMPORTANCE OF MEDICAL RECORD COMPLIANCE*
- Submit a signed ICD with a coversheet to Health Information Management Services (HIMS)
along with RDS coversheet
- Submit research notes with coversheet
- Indicate study visit # (cycle # and day if applicable), unscheduled visit or adverse
event treatment, other study specific information
- HIMS scans to the Clinical Trials section of the EMR for each subject