Crime Prevention Tips
Welcome to the Augusta University! The Public Safety Division hopes that your time
on campus is productive and enjoyable. We offer the following tips for your personal
safety and well being.
- Read Public Safety Updates
- Personal Safety
- Walk or jog with a friend, not alone.
- Avoid isolated areas.
- Use campus escort services.
- Know your limits on dates and communicate them to you partner.
- Know your limits with alcohol. Be cautious in accepting drinks from people you do
- Residential Safety
- Lock your dorm room or apartment whenever you leave and when you are sleeping.
- Do not prop open security doors.
- Call 1-2911 if you see someone in the building who does not belong.
- Do not allow strangers to follow you into the building.
- Campus Safety
- Tell a friend where you are going and when you will return.
- Carry a whistle or noise maker. Do not be afraid to scream if you need help.
- Use a Campus Help Phone or raise the hood and stay in your car if it breaks down.
If someone stops, ask them to call the police.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Workplace Safety
- Keep personal items (purses, book bags) locked up.
- Secure the work area when no one is in it.
- Report suspicious activity to the police.
- Protecting Your Property
- Record the serial numbers of your valuables.
- Engrave valuables with your social security number.
- Register your bike with Parking Services.
- Keep your vehicle locked when it is parked and when you drive.
- Consider installing anti-theft or alarm devices on your vehicle.
- Do not leave textbooks, purses, or book bags unattended.
- Do not leave laptop computers unattended.
Anyone can be the victim of a crime, regardless of race, sex, class, or where you
live. Being safe sometimes means being inconvenienced. Plan ahead and make safety
a priority in your life!
For more information contact...
Lt. Derik Still
Office: (706) 721-8110