SENDING STUDENT DATA ELECTRONICALLY
Data stewards are designated senior University officials who have planning and policy-level
responsibilities for data in their functional areas. Data stewards or their designees
are responsible for recommending policies and establishing procedures and guidelines
concerning the accuracy, privacy, and integrity of the data subsets for which they
are responsible. The responsibilities of the Data Stewards are as follows:
- Overall responsibility for the data subsets managed by their reporting units. In certain
cases the same data element could exist in more than one data subset (and stem). For
example, social security number is used in the financial, human resources and student
system. In this case, social security number is considered to have more than one steward.
- Resolve data access or definition issues involving data elements which exist in multiple
data subsets across stems.
- Interpret and implement state and federal policies and guidelines that affect data
subsets within their functional areas.
- Identify the access type (public, internal, or internal and sensitive) for each data
element within the data subsets managed by their reporting units.
- Establish authorization procedures to facilitate appropriate data access as defined
by campus data policy and ensure data security for data within their functional area.