Vocational Rehabilitation Program

I. Benefit Description

The Vocational Rehabilitation program provides services and assistance necessary for service-connected disabled veterans to achieve independence and to obtain and maintain suitable employment. Vocational Rehabilitation can include college, technical school or on-the-job training or special training at rehabilitation facilities or at home when it is necessary because of a serious disability.

Vocational Rehabilitation services include, in part, assessment, counseling, training, subsistence allowances and employment assistance. VA also will assist you in job placement. While you are enrolled in a Vocational Rehabilitation program, VA pays the cost of tuition, fees, required books, supplies and equipment. VA also may pay for special supportive services such as medical and dental care, prosthetic devices, lip-reading training and signing for the deaf.

II. Eligibility

If you have an other than dishonorable discharge, you may be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation benefits if BOTH of the following conditions are met:

  1. You have a service-connected disability (ie) and VA has awarded you at least 20 percent compensation. Effective October 1, 1993, a veteran with a 10 percent disability evaluation may also be eligible if a serious employment handicap is evident.
  2. VA determines that you need vocational rehabilitation to overcome an impairment to your ability to prepare for, obtain or retain employment consistent with your abilities, aptitudes and interests.

Your service-connected disability must materially contribute to this employment handicap.

If you are eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation benefits, you may receive up to 4 years of rehabilitation services. Generally, you must complete a rehabilitation program within 12 years from the date VA notifies you of your entitlement to compensation benefits.

III. How To Apply

VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation.

The following supporting evidence and/or documents should be submitted with your claim:

Dependency Documents - If not currently on record with VA, the original or copies of birth and marriage certificates and copies of divorce/death record terminating your prior marriages and those of your spouse.

IV. Other Related Benefits

Extended Evaluation Services
Independent Living Services
Priority Medical Care/Services
Employment Assistance
Work-Study Allowance Program
Tutorial Assistance

Visit our office, located in Washington Hall, or give us a call at (706) 737-1606. or call Peggy Payton at (706) 733-0188 ext. 6809. Or contact your local VA Regional Office for additional assistance by dialing the toll-free number, 1-888-442-4551.




Military & Veteran Services
Augusta University
Summerville Campus
Washington Hall, Suite 212

Hours of Operation 08:00 - 17:00

Tel: 706-729-2255
Fax: 706-729-2424

Rate Our Service

Website Survey