Department of Pathology, Section of Anatomic Pathology
Office Phone: (706) 721-2925
Office Address: BF-212/BAE-2576
Vice Chairman for Translation Research
Chief, Section of Molecular and Genetic Pathology
Associate Director Residency Program
Director, Georgia Esoteric & Molecular Laboratory at Augusta University
MBBS, 2001: Mahatma Gandhi Medical College, Aurangabad, India.
PhD, 2006; Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS.
Residency and Postdoctoral Fellowship
2008 - 2012, Resident, Pathology AP/CP, Augusta University.
2011 - 2012, Chief Resident, Augusta University.
2007 - 2008, Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Augusta University
01/14 - 12/14, Fellowship, Teaching Scholars Tract, EII, Augusta University
- As a Molecular and Genetic Pathologist, I am actively engaged in molecular and cytogenetic
evaluation of patient samples as a part of the multi- disciplinary clinical team treating
patients. It is my goal to render not only the most accurate diagnosis but also to
provide and develop the highest quality predictive and prognostic tests as a part
of personalized medicine. This approach helps my clinical colleagues take the best
possible care of the patient while at the same time advancing our scientific knowledge
in these areas. My clinical work involves molecular evaluation of various pathologic
disorders and malignancies.
- As a Laboratory and Medical Director I am actively engaged in cytogenetics evaluation
of hematological malignancies as a part of the multi- disciplinary clinical team treating
patients. Molecular analysis can identify the cause of disease, diagnose disease,
and contribute to improved medical care, medical education, and research. I am also
actively involved in medical and graduate education and translation pathology research.
- Surgical Pathology.
- Breast Pathology.
- Molecular Pathology and Cancer Cytogenetics.
- Pathology Informatics
Certification and Licensures
- Diplomate of the American Board of Pathology: Anatomic and Clinical Pathology.
- Fellow College of American Pathology (FCAP).
- Fellow American Society of Clinical Pathology (FASCP).
- Georgia State Medical License (Georgia State Board of Medical Examiners): Active and
- Clinical Laboratory Director License (CLIA), Georgia Department of Community Health,
State of Georgia.
Devising and development of new molecular laboratory tests (LDT)s:
Identifying newer validated platforms and incorporating them in development of advanced
molecular testing in human diseases. This will offer a large variety of molecular
markers for diagnosis and predicting therapeutic response in tumors. Long-term goal
is to develop molecular (mi-RNA/m-RNA/DNA/protein) based test panels aiding in the
differential diagnosis, prognosis, therapeutic response and management of various
- Medical Students: Phase II pathology – Cytogenetics of myeloproliferative neoplasms, Breast pathology,
- Phase I Cellular and Molecular Basis of Medicine module- Personalized Medicine
- Pathology Residents: Molecular Pathology, Surgical Pathology, Cancer Cytogenetics, Breast Pathology, Lab
Management and Pathology informatics.
- Hematology-oncology Fellows: Molecular Pathology, Cancer Cytogenetics.
- Med Tech students - Clinical Molecular Methods Lab, Clinical Molecular Methods Internship CLSC 7990
- PRIDE Summer Institute: Molecular Diagnostics.
- Ahluwalia, P., Mondal, A.K., Bloomer, C., Fulzele, S., Jones, K., Ananth, S., Gahlay,
G.K., Heneidi, S., Rojiani, A.M., Kota, V. and Kolhe, R., Identification and Clinical Validation of a Novel 4 Gene-Signature with Prognostic
Utility in Colorectal Cancer. International journal of molecular sciences, 20(15),
- Kolhe R, Hunter M, Liu S, Jadeja RN, Pundkar C, Mondal AK, Mendhe B, Drewry M, Rojiani MV,
Liu Y, Isales CM. Gender-specific differential expression of exosomal miRNA in synovial
fluid of patients with osteoarthritis. Scientific Reports. 2017 May 17;7(1):2029.
- Islam, B.N., Sharman, S.K., Hou, Y., Bridges, A.E., Singh, N., Kim, S., Kolhe, R., Trillo-Tinoco, J., Rodriguez, P.C., Berger, F.G. and Sridhar, S., 2017. Sildenafil
suppresses inflammation-driven colorectal cancer in mice. Cancer Prev Res May 3 2017
- Ouzounova, M., Lee, E., Piranlioglu, R., El Andaloussi, A., Kolhe, R., Demirci, M. F., ... & Thangaraju, M. (2017). Monocytic and granulocytic myeloid
derived suppressor cells differentially regulate spatiotemporal tumour plasticity
during metastatic cascade.Nature communications, 8, 14979.
- Kapil, Shweta, Bal Krishan Sharma, Mallikarjun Patil, Sawsan Elattar, Jinling Yuan,
Steven X. Hou, Ravindra Kolhe, and Ande Satyanarayana. "The cell polarity protein Scrib functions as a tumor suppressor
in liver cancer."Oncotarget 8, no. 16 (2017): 26515-26531.
- Burke, J., Hunter, M., Kolhe, R., Isales, C., Hamrick, M., & Fulzele, S. (2016). Therapeutic potential of mesenchymal
stem cell based therapy for osteoarthritis.Clinical and translational medicine, 5(1), 27.
- Pathania, R., Ramachandran, S., Mariappan, G., Thakur, P., Shi, H., Choi, J.H., Manicassamy,
S., Kolhe, R., Prasad, P.D., Sharma, S. and Lokeshwar, B.L., 2016. Combined inhibition of DNMT
and HDAC blocks the tumorigenicity of cancer stem-like cells and attenuates mammary
tumor growth.Cancer research, 76(11), pp.3224-3235.
- Noonepalle, S. K., Gu, F., Lee, E. J., Choi, J. H., Han, Q., Kim, J., ... & Kolhe, R. (2017). Promoter Methylation Modulates Indoleamine 2, 3-Dioxygenase 1 Induction
by Activated T Cells in Human Breast Cancers.Cancer Immunology Research, 5(4), 330-344
- Sivaprakasam, S., Gurav, A., Paschall, A.V., Coe, G.L., Chaudhary, K., Cai, Y., Kolhe, R., Martin, P., Browning, D., Huang, L. and Shi, H., 2016. An essential role of Ffar2
(Gpr43) in dietary fibre-mediated promotion of healthy composition of gut microbiota
and suppression of intestinal carcinogenesis.Oncogenesis, 5(6), p.e238.
- Rajneesh Pathania, Sabarish Ramachandran, Gurusamy Mariappan, .., Ravindra Kolhe, .., Vadivel Ganapathy, and Muthusamy Thangaraju :Combined inhibition of DNMT and
HDAC blocks the tumorigenicity of cancer stem-like cells and attenuates mammary tumor
growth.Cancer Res canres.2249.2015; Published Online First April 5, 2016; doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-15-2249
- Sharma BK, Kolhe R, Black SM, Keller JR, Mivechi NF, Satyanarayana A. Inhibitor of differentiation 1
transcription factor promotes metabolic reprogramming in hepatocellular carcinoma
cells. FASEB J. 2016 Jan; 30(1):262-75. doi: 10.1096/fj.15-277749. Epub 2015 Sep 1.
PubMed PMID: 26330493; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4684534.
- Wankhade UD, Shen M, Kolhe R, Fulzele S. Advances in Adipose-Derived Stem Cells Isolation, Characterization, and
Application in Regenerative Tissue Engineering. Stem Cells Int. 2016; 2016:3206807.
doi: 10.1155/2016/3206807. Epub 2016 Feb 11. Review. PubMed PMID: 26981130; PubMed
Central PMCID: PMC4766348.
- Mangaonkar A, Xu H, Mohsin J, Mansour J, Chintalapally R, Keen R, Mondal AK, DeRemer
D, Clemmons AB, Clark SM, Shah A, Jillela A, Kolhe R, Kota V. Prognostic value of complete remission with superior platelet counts in
acute myeloid leukemia. J Community Support Oncol. 2016 Feb;14(2):66-71. doi:10.12788/jcso.0231.
PubMed PMID: 26955659.
- Bhatta A, Sangani R, Kolhe R, Toque HA, Cain M, Wong A, Howie N, Shinde R, Elsalanty M, Yao L, Chutkan N, Hunter
M, Caldwell RB, Isales C, Caldwell RW, Fulzele S. Deregulation of arginase induces
bone complications in high-fat/high-sucrose diet diabetic mouse model. Mol Cell Endocrinol.
2016 Feb 15;422:211-20.
doi: 10.1016/j.mce.2015.12.005 . Epub 2015 Dec 17. PubMed PMID: 26704078.
- Burke J, Kolhe R, Hunter M, Isales C, Hamrick M, Fulzele S. Stem Cell-Derived Exosomes: A Potential
Alternative Therapeutic Agent in Orthopaedics. Stem Cells Int. 2016; 2016:5802529.
doi: 10.1155/2016/5802529. Epub 2016 Jan 19. Review. PubMed PMID: 26904130; PubMed
Central PMCID: PMC4745815.
- Jalnapurkar, S., Mangaonkar, A., Mondal, A., Burke, J., Fulzele, S., & Kolhe, R. (2015). miRNA in Pathophysiology of Peripartum Cardiomyopathy (PPCM): A Systemic
Review. Journal of Clinical & Experimental Cardiology, 2015.
- Jalnapurkar, S., Mangaonkar, A., Mondal, A., Burke, J., Fulzele, S., & Kolhe, R. Journal of Hypertension and cardiology, 2015, DOI: 10.14302/issn.2329-9487.jhc-15-677.
- Sangani, Rajnikumar, Sudharsan Periyasamy-Thandavan, Ravindra Kolhe….Sadanand Fulzele. "MicroRNAs-141 and 200a regulate the SVCT2 transporter in bone
marrow stromal cells." Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology. 2015 Jan 21. pii: S0303-7207(15)00011-8.
- Sangani, R., Periyasamy-Thandavan, S., Pathania, R., Ahmad, S., Kutiyanawalla, A.,
Kolhe, R. ... & Fulzele, S. (2015). The crucial role of vitamin C and its transporter (SVCT2)
in bone marrow stromal cell autophagy and apoptosis. Stem cell research, 15(2), 312-321.
For a complete listing of all publications, see Dr. Kolhe's work here.