Talmadge Hospital expanded patient services with the Ambulatory and Specialized Care
Centers in 1992. MCG dedicated the Children's Medical Center in 1998. The century
ended with MCG Health Inc., a non-profit organization, assuming management of MCG's
clinical facilities. The separation allowed the hospita
The first allied health science course began as a departmental program in the School
of Medicine. The college offered a twelve-month certificate program in Medical Technology
in 1937 and graduated three students in 1938. However, the Bulletin of the University of Georgia School of Medicine did not list the program until the school year of 1947-1948. In 1957, the program's
curriculum changed and the baccalaureate degree was offered as a joint program with
the University of Georgia. MCG awarded the first bachelors degree in Medical Technology
in 1967. The school awarded the first bachelor's degree in Medical Records Science
in 1964 and the first bachelor's degree in Radiologic Technology in 1967. The college
awarded its first Master of Medical Illustration in 1951.
The Board of Regents established the School of Allied Health Sciences in January 1968. The school united the programs of Medical Illustration, Medical Technology, Medical Record Science, and Radiologic Technology. President O'Rear appointed Dr. Raymond Bard as dean of the school, a position he held until 1988. The school rapidly grew and offered 28 degrees within the first twenty years of existence. In the 21st century, the school offers associate, baccalaureate, and master degrees in twelve health care disciplines.
Dr. Raymond Bard was instrumental in the early development of the School of Allied Health Sciences and was appointed as its first Dean in 1968. There were few training programs in the other schools when he arrived at MCG in 1967. Dr. Bard consolidated those programs and added new ones to create the School of Allied Health Sciences. He continued to build the School for two more decades, retiring in 1988.
Dr. Leona "Shelley" Mishoe was appointed Dean of Allied Health Sciences, after serving as Associate Dean (2001-2002) and Interim Dean (2001-2002). She came to MCG in 1977 as Assistant Professor, and served as Chair of the Department of Respiratory Therapy from 1988-2000.After Dr. Bards retirement, Dr. Biagio Vericella was appointed Dean. He came to MCG in 1973 and served as Associate Dean from 1976 until he became Dean in 1988. The allied health programs continued to gain an excellent national reputation under his tenure. Dr. Vericella retired in 2001.