During Dean Allen's term, the school officials made several needed changes to the curriculum and improved clinical instruction and laboratory facilities. The teaching staff was also strengthened by the addition of several assistant, associate and full professors. In 1906, the Council on Medical Education inspected the country's 160 medical colleges. The hard work of the faculty was not in vain because the Medical Department received the news in 1907 that it had been designated Class A. During the fall of that same year, the institution's initial experiment with an athletic program was marked when the school fielded its first football team.
In 1908, Abraham Flexner, a layman and staff member of the Carnegie Foundation, was selected to inspect medical colleges in the United States and Canada. He gave the Medical Department of the University of Georgia a less than favorable report when he visited Augusta on February 9, 1909. He basically recommended that the University of Georgia no longer be affiliated with the department, and the school should close its doors or move to Athens due to inadequate financial support and the tenuous affiliation with the university. After Dr. Joseph Allen's term expired in May 1910, the mantle was passed to Dr. William H. Doughty Jr., who helped the department redeem itself.
Dr. Joseph Eve Allen (1862-1915)
Dr. Joseph Eve Allen was born in Augusta and was the grandson and namesake of Joseph Eve, an MCG founder. He was educated in Augusta, received his MD degree from the Medical Department of the University of Georgia in 1877 and spent his career with the institution in obstetrics and pediatrics. In 1896, he became the center of controversy upon his address on Darwinian Evolution, which some in the community considered an attack on religion. In 1906, when he was named dean, his popularity with the students was such that they hoisted him on their shoulders and carried him into the assembly.