1. IMMIGRATION CONSULTATION REQUEST FORM
If you have not already done so, please submit an Immigration Consultation Request Form to begin the hosting or sponsorship process. Please wait for a response from IPSO
before proceeding. If the response you receive recommends J-1 immigration status,
you may proceed with the steps below.
2. exchange visior affiliate (EVA) or employee?
Exchange Visitor Affiliate (EVA)
- If the response you receive to your ICRF recommends an EVA appointment, then contact
Compensation & Performance Management to set up the position for the EVA or use a
multi-incumbent number already assigned by Human Resources. See the HR EVA Appointment Process for more details.
- Prepare an invitation letter using one of the templates below:
- Have EVAs complete the packet for new NON-PAID AFFILIATES found on the HR website.
- For regular, full-time employees, an HR posting, recruitment, and offer letter of
1.0 FTE are required. Work with an HR Talent Consultant.
- For part-time, regular employees, an HR posting, recruitment, and offer letter of
at 0.75 FTE are required. Work with an HR Talent Consultant.
- For Postdoctoral Fellow positions please see the Postdoctoral Guidelines for information on how to hire a postdoc, including the postdoc offer letter template.
- For Visiting Student Interns, an HR offer letter of temporary employment at 0.33 FTE
is required. Work with HR Benefits & Data Management.
The department should submit all of the below documents and forms to Box. (If we have not already created a shared folder for your department on Box, you
will receive an email notification from an IPSO staff member inviting you to a Box
folder.) The request for J-1 processing will move forward AFTER the submission to
Box is complete.
4. IPSO reviews submission
- IPSO will review the request and respond within one week. The process will move forward
when the submission is complete.
- We will also make sure that the salary and/or funding meets the minimum requirements
for the J-1 program.
- IPSO will then issue a DS-2019 and send an email notifying the department that the
DS-2019 packet is ready for pickup. If original funding documents are required, the
host unit is responsible for bringing those documents at the time of DS-2019 pickup.
5. DEPARTMENT SENDS DS-2019 TO VISITOR
- After the department picks up the DS-2019 packet, they will ship it via UPS or FedEx
to the visitor.
- Departments should not use regular mail to send the DS-2019.
- No scanning of the DS-2019 is permitted per instructions of the U.S. Department of
6. exchange visitor receives DS-2019 and instructions
- Following the enclosed instructions in the mailing, the Exchange Visitor pays the
SEVIS fee and schedules an appointment with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
7. Exchange Visitor Arrives, Attends Validation Appointment
- As soon as possible after the Exchange Visitor’s arrival in the U.S., the host unit
calls IPSO to schedule a validation appointment for the visitor.
- Who should attend?
- The manager and/or mentor if they haven't been to one within the last year. Family
members of the visitor can also attend.
- What should the visitor bring?
- Passport (should include all information pages, page with dates of validity, page
with photo, all extension pages, visa, and entry ink stamp)
- Copy of electronic Form I-94
- Documents will be reviewed and duplicated. The J program dates will be updated on
the DS-2019. The visitor will receive a recommended date to apply for a Social Security
- The J-1 insurance requirement will be explained.
- At the validation appointment, the Exchange Visitor will be scheduled for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Orientation.
8. Exchange Visitor Attends Orientation
- The manager and/or mentor should attend orientation if they haven't been to one within
the last year. The Orientation Packet will be reviewed.
- The Exchange Visitor can begin J program activities on or after the date listed on
the updated DS-2019 issued at validation.