The International and Postdoctoral Services Office provides processing for H-1B, TN,
E-3 and O-1 sponsorship by Augusta University.
The decision to sponsor a scholar for any status rests with the hiring department
or college. Departments or colleges, however, may not be aware of current requirements
and processing timelines for attaining nonimmigrant status. For this reason, if sponsorship
for nonimmigrant status is required for your employment at Augusta University, it
is best to confirm that our office has assessed your situation before a final determination
is made on start date, position and salary for your employment.
Due to personnel limitations, we will only correspond with applicants for whom we
have received a department request from the hiring unit.
Some important points to keep in mind about your transition to employment at Augusta
- Full documentation is required.
- Regardless of status, full documentation of your educational background, work experience
and previous immigration status will be necessary. This includes, but is not limited
- An IPSO Applicant Info Form, completed in its entirety
- A current C.V., with all dates listed in month/year format
- For those currently in the U.S., copies of your passport, visa, I-94, current status
document (I-797, I-20, DS-2019)
- If applicable, copies of publications (1st page only)
- For foreign trained physicians, a copy of ECFMG certification and USMLE scores
- Copies of degrees. For foreign graduates, a credential evaluation of their degrees.
Companies that provide this service include: www.ece.org, www.gceus.com, www.lisano-intl.com, www.jsilny.com, www.wes.org
- Note: Original documents are not required for immigration processing. Copies, in most cases, will
- Change of status
- For those currently in F-1 or J-1 status, a change of status will usually require
a 3-6 month processing time. If your department/college wishes to transfer your F
or J status to Augusta University, they should contact Beverly Tarver. This is often the fastest way to begin employment at Augusta University.
- Foreign nationals in B-1 or B-2 status are not eligible for a change of status to
H-1B, TN, E-3 or O-1 status. Individuals in B-1 or B-2 may be eligible for consular
processing for one of these status' in their home country.
- J-1 applicants subject to 212(e) require an I-612 approval notice to be eligible for
- H-1B transfers
- While H-1B transfers take less time than change of status cases, they can still require
three months to secure employment eligibility for a new hire. An H-1B employee's status in the U.S. is dependent on employment and there is no recognized
grace period once employment has terminated. For this reason, it is critically important
that those currently in H-1B status do not terminate employment with their current
employer until we have advised it is safe to do so.
- H-1B transfers will also need to supply copies of their most recent three paystubs
as evidence of their valid status.
- Augusta University does not sponsor medical or dental residents for H-1B status.
- Applicants who require sponsorship for nonimmigrant status must have met the minimum
requirements of the position when the petition is submitted to USCIS. Petitions cannot
be submitted for pending graduates.
- For applicants abroad
- Visa processing can take a few days to a few weeks, depending on numerous factors.
IPSO has no means to expedite visa processing. If you are advised your case has been
selected for “administrative processing,” expect delays.
- If you do not have a U.S. Social Security number, you will need to apply for one after
arriving in Augusta. Expect this process to take 2-3 weeks. You will not be eligible
for employment at Augusta University until you have a Social Security number.
IPSO takes pride in its customer service. We strive to consider both the department's
interests and candidate's career path in assessing immigration options. We urge applicants
to consider that each person's immigration circumstances are unique and what may be
the case for friends and colleagues may not apply to your situation.