THIS PROGRAM IS OFFERED FULLY ONLINE.
The Education Specialist in Advanced Educational Studies allows candidates to build
upon existing knowledge and skills as a practitioner. Education Specialist degree
completers possess advanced knowledge and skills to develop and design curriculum,
implement instructional methods that are data-driven and responsive, and assess instructional
practices that facilitate student learning. Also, candidates will gain the ability
to use fundamental applied research methods informed by theory and inquiry to address
everyday, practical educational problems.
Required Coursework 30 credit hours (Download Program Information)
The EdS in Advanced Educational Studies leads to a certificate upgrade in Georgia
to Level 6. Candidates must complete concentration coursework assignments and assessments
in their current area of certification (such as Elementary, Middle Grades, Secondary,
Special Education, etc.).
This program is 100% online.
- GPA: Minimum 3.0 GPA at the Master’s level. Minimum 2.5 GPA at the Baccalaureate level.
- Minimum Degree Requirement: Minimum of a Master's degree from an accredited program and an accredited college
or university. To be used to satisfy degree requirements, evaluation of foreign educational
transcripts must show degree earned that is the U.S. equivalency of degree required
by the program.
- Official Transcripts: Official transcripts are required from all universities and colleges ever attended.
Only in the case of transcripts from international colleges/universities will an official
course-by-course transcript evaluation be accepted in lieu of an official transcript.
Official transcripts should be sent to Augusta University's Office of Academic Admissions.
To remain official, all transcripts must remain in the original, unopened, sealed
and stamped/signed envelope from the Registrar's office of the issuing institution.
Alternatively, Augusta University will accept official electronic transcripts from
the registrar's office at your prior institution. Electronic transcripts should be
directed to email@example.com.
- Teaching Certificate: A valid level 5 or higher Professional, Advanced Professional, or Lead Professional
teaching certificate, leadership certificate, service field certificate, or Life certificate.
- Background Check: A clear or expunged criminal background record.
- Per the Augusta University Criminal Background Check Policy (Policy 4.1.7), final admission and enrollment for all graduate nursing and education
programs are conditional on the completion of a criminal background check with results
deemed acceptable to the applicable college/program’s professional standards.
- Failure to complete the required background check, provide information necessary to
conduct the background check, or provide false or misleading information, may disqualify
applicants from final admission and matriculation into the program and University.
- Instructions for completing criminal background checks will be provided to applicants
upon acceptance into these programs. For further information on the policy including
the policy statement, reason for the policy, authorization process, process/procedures,
and review process, please refer to the Applicant Criminal Background Check Policy.
- Liability Insurance
- Proof of Lawful Presence: In accordance with Board of Regents Policy 4.1.6, all applicants for admission to Augusta University are required to provide validation
of lawful presence in the United States. Acceptance to the Augusta University is conditional until lawful
presence is verified. ALL applicants who are U.S. Citizens must submit documentation
that verifies his/her lawful presence in the United States at time of application
View Course Requirements
Educational Specialist in Advanced Educational Studies Disclosure Statement
Augusta University offers several online degree, certificate, and endorsement programs.
These programs are designed to meet the criteria for certification, endorsement, and
advancement in the subject matter and grade level classifications established by the
Georgia Professional Standards Commission. Each state board establishes their own
criteria for teacher/leader certification, which, in addition to educational requirements,
may include (but are not limited to) testing requirements, mandatory certifications,
minimum years in service, background checks, applications and fees. For questions
relating to state board requirements for certification in your state, please contact
the Georgia Professional Standards Commission.