What is the AU Course Shell?
The AU Course Shell is a structure you can import into an empty course in the Learning
Management System (LMS), which is called D2L/Brightspace.
- Consists of editable web pages that help you get your course up and running quickly
- Contains prompts and tips that guide you through the development process
- Although originally designed for online courses, it can be easily adapted for use
with hybrid or face-to-face courses
- Rapid course development
- Flexible design and structure (add, delete, modify files)
- Compliant with federal Web accessibility guidelines
- Consistent fonts, colors, and navigational structure with AU branding
- Based on research and best practice recommendations
- Addresses many of the Quality Matters Rubric standards: (https://tinyurl.com/yyy4lp5c)
Download the AU Course Shell
- Download the appropriate course shell
- AU Course Shell (This shell is suitable for all disciplines.)
- AU M Ed Course Shell (This shell was modified specifically for faculty teaching in the Master of Education
- Mouse over the .zip file in the Box folder. Ellipses … will appear to the right of
the file name. Select the ellipses … and click Download. A file .zip will download
to your computer – typically to the Downloads folder. Do not unzip this file. You
will upload and install the .zip file into your course.
Install the Course Shell
Warning: the course shell may only be installed in an empty D2L course. If you need
assistance converting a course with pre-existing content into the Course Shell, please
contact your College’s Instructional Systems Analyst
- Open D2L/Brightspace and navigate to the course into which you would like to install
the AU Course Shell. The course should not have any content or files.
- Select Course Administration.
- Select: Import / Export / Copy Components from Site Resources.
- Under “What would you like to do?” Select Import Components.
- Choose [Upload] and select the .zip file you downloaded to your computer, or drag
and drop the .zip file on top of the Upload window.
- Select: [Import All Components]. The process may take a minute or two.
- Once the process is complete, select [View Content].
Instructions for editing pages
Instructions for adding pages