What is the AU Course Shell?
The AU Course Shell is a structure you can import into an empty course in the Learning
Management System (LMS), which is called D2L/Brightspace.
- Consists of editable web pages that help you get your course up and running quickly
- Contains prompts and tips that guide you through the development process
- Although originally designed for online courses, it can be easily adapted for use
with hybrid or face-to-face courses
- Rapid course development
- Flexible design and structure (add, delete, modify files)
- Compliant with federal Web accessibility guidelines
- Consistent fonts, colors, and navigational structure with AU branding
- Based on research and best practice recommendations
- Addresses many of the Quality Matters Rubric standards: (https://tinyurl.com/yyy4lp5c)
Download the AU Course Shell
- Download the appropriate course shell
Before COVID-19, the AU Course Shell came in two varieties:
- AU Course Shell (This shell is suitable for all disciplines.)
- AU M Ed Course Shell (This shell was modified specifically for faculty teaching in the Master of Education
In response to moving all instruction online by March 30, 2020, we now offer three
additional shells! You can simply upload your choice to D2L, follow the instructions, and plug in your
content. The shells are based on three pathways for delivering your course.
- Mouse over the .zip file in the Box folder. Ellipses … will appear to the right of
the file name. Select the ellipses … and click Download. A file .zip will download
to your computer – typically to the Downloads folder. Do not unzip this file. You
will upload and install the .zip file into your course.
Install the Course Shell
Warning: the course shell may only be installed in an empty D2L course. If you need
assistance converting a course with pre-existing content into the Course Shell, please
contact your College’s Instructional Systems Analyst
- Open D2L/Brightspace and navigate to the course into which you would like to install
the AU Course Shell. The course should not have any content or files.
- Select Course Administration.
- Select: Import / Export / Copy Components from Site Resources.
- Under “What would you like to do?” Select Import Components.
- Choose [Upload] and select the .zip file you downloaded to your computer, or drag
and drop the .zip file on top of the Upload window.
- Select: [Import All Components]. The process may take a minute or two.
- Once the process is complete, select [View Content].
Instructions for editing pages
Instructions for adding pages