The utilization and care of animals at Augusta University (Augusta University) is
in accordance with the USDA Animal Welfare Act, PHS "Policy for the Humane Care and
Use of Animals", U.S. Government Principles for the Utilization and Care of Vertebrate
Animals used in testing, research and training; the FDA good Laboratory Practices
(where applicable) and the Animal Welfare Policies of the University. In order to
ensure that these regulations and guidelines are followed; and the Division of Laboratory
Animal Services (DLAS) is operated equitably and efficiently, certain restrictions
and administrative requirements are necessary.
- INHUMANE TREATMENT OR ABUSE OF ANY ANIMAL WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
- All animals will be properly handled at all times. Any person not familiar with the
species involved in the experiment should first meet with Division of Laboratory Animal
Services (DLAS) to discuss proper handling techniques and possible training opportunities.
- Personnel who are actually working with the animals must have training (education
or experience) prior to performing experimental manipulations with the animals.
- Personnel must complete the "Occupational Health and Safety" process prior to utilizing Division
of Laboratory Animal Services (DLAS) facilities.
- The principal investigators are responsible for all experimental procedures conducted
by members of the research team.
- Only authorized personnel (support personnel) are allowed in the DLAS Facilities.
Tours of the facility may be arranged after consulting with the Director or the Supervisor.
No children under 12 years of age will be allowed.
- All personnel will wear appropriate protective clothing while in the animal and experimental
- All experimental work (except those of a hazardous nature) involving manipulations
of animals (dosing, drawing blood, necropsy) should be conducted in areas other than
the animal rooms.
- In experiments involving hazardous materials, the principal investigators may, under
certain conditions, provide their own animal care. However, the caretakers will be
subject to the same regulations as the DLAS personnel and monitored by the DLAS Supervisor.
All animal caretakers must have training & thorough education responsibilities.
- Acceptable animal husbandry and sanitation practices as outlined in DLAS Standard
Operating Procedures manual will be followed at all times.
- Appropriate anesthetics, analgesics, or tranquilizers as determined by the staff veterinarian
must be used to relieve all unnecessary pain and distress to animals unless approval
has been obtained in writing from the IACUC. (Copies listing the appropriate anesthetics,
analgesics, and tranquilizers for various laboratory animals are available in the
- Cameras are not allowed in the facility without prior approval.
- Support equipment (i.e. scales, restrainers, etc.) is for use by all personnel utilizing
the DLAS. Please do not remove any equipment from the facility.
- There will be no eating or drinking in the animal or experimental rooms. Smoking is
not allowed in any area of the building.
- All accidents or injuries occurring within the Center are to be promptly reported
to the Supervisor.
- Animal carcasses should be stored in the designated freezer.
- All requests for utilizing the Center or its services require one week minimum notice.
- No animals will be ordered until all forms have been filled out properly and approved.
- Division of Laboratory Animal Services (DLAS) is not responsible for delays in arrival
of animals that may be encountered during shipping or supplier error.
- Investigators will be charged for all animals they order that arrive. If there is
an issue with the order the investigator should bring it to the attention of Division
of Laboratory Animal Services (DLAS) immediately so that appropriate assistance can
- Compliance with the above stipulations will ensure continued Division of Laboratory
Animal Services (DLAS) support.
- Non-Compliance with the above stipulations may result in suspension of the privilege
of using Division of Laboratory Animal Services (DLAS) Facilities or its equipment.