Horn Players, Piano, Bass & Guitar Players
- Perform the Blues Scales provided to you in the audition materials (extra audition
credit will be given for playing the scales two octaves whenever possible)
- Prepare to play the two audition pieces provided in the audition materials. Sophisticated
Lady (Ab Concert) and Embraceable You (G Concert). Sheet music for each instrument in the correct key is in the audition material packet. You can find instrumental accompaniment for each of these ballads on the ireal app online. Set the tempo for quarter note = 90
- Prepare the written exercise “Stellar” (This can be performed over the chord changes
for “Stella By Starlight” in concert Bb if you would like to practice it with accompaniment
– also found in the ireal app) Prepare this excerpt at quarter note = 126 with a swing feeling.
- Prepare to play two choruses of blues improvisation in the Keys of F and Bb concert.
Blues changes can also be found on the ireal app and can be changed into any key and
tempo desired. Practice at quarter note = 150
- You will be asked to sight read a short excerpt at your audition.
***Please attempt the improvisational requirement of the audition, as we need to
assess which instrumentalists are capable and comfortable with improvisation. Your
audition results, however, will be judged on your overall ability on your instrument.
Bass Players - In addition to the above
- Demonstrate a walking bass line for 3 choruses of blues in F and Bb
- Your sight reading will involve walking through chord changes that will be provided
in the audition
- Demonstrate playing in a 4/4 feel, half-time feel, waltz, latin feel (bossa nova/Girl
From Ipanema type feel
Drums: What to expect
- Demonstrate the following "rhythmic feels" in an imaginative manner:
Up tempo swing
Latin (bossa nova and/or Jazz Samba)
****Tutorials on these rhythmic feels can be found at this link:
2. Perform an extended free solo, utilizing the entire set to the fullest capacity
and including as many different musical styles as practical.
3. Sightread sections of a big band arrangements.
- Prepare a jazz standard of your choice using an ireal accompaniment to perform during
- Sight read a song at the audition.