The PhD in Nursing Program
The PhD in Nursing Program prepares nurse scientists for research-intensive academic
careers. The program emphasizes interdisciplinary knowledge development and dissemination
through biobehavioral nursing research. Our faculty are involved in ground-breaking
research in such vital areas as health disparities, cancer prevention and control,
cardiovascular risk reduction, and smoking cessation.
Our PhD program is designed for advanced students interested in working closely with
faculty mentors in nursing and related disciplines within the context of established
programs of research.
This program prepares graduates to:
- Critically evaluate behavioral and biological theories of health and illness.
- Generate, test, and extend knowledge of linkages between behavioral and biological
dimensions of health and illness.
- Design basic and clinical nursing studies to investigate behavioral and biological
phenomena within a selected area.
- Participate in interdisciplinary approaches to generate and apply scientific knowledge.
- Apply leadership strategies to address ethical, political, economic, and socio-cultural
issues in nursing.
Health Outcomes - Emphasizes clinical outcomes research with a focus on the development of evidence-based
knowledge explicating the behavioral and biological outcomes of nursing interventions
for vulnerable populations.
Health Disparities - Addresses genetic, biological, social, psychological, and environmental determinants
of health disparities with a special focus on populations in the Southeastern U.S.
Health Provider Performance and Patient Safety - Promotes patient safety through an increased understanding of the interaction between
heath care providers and their environment.
We offer our PhD students:
- An opportunity to engage in ground-breaking research in such vital areas as health
disparities, cardiovascular risk reduction, cancer treatment/prevention, diabetes
treatment/prevention and smoking cessation. (Learn more about our faculty researchers)
- Access to a wide range of service to support their research interests through our
Center for Nursing Research.
- Avenues to advance their research interests through our Interdisciplinary Simulation
Center and through the Augusta University's centers and institutes such as the new Cancer Research Center.
- Excellent opportunities to collaborate with world-class researchers in a dynamic,
resource-rich health sciences university environment. (Learn more...)
- Research mentoring, assistantship opportunities, and an exceptional financial package.
- The latest in classroom technology in a new, state-of-the-art facility.
(Applications will be reviewed upon completion. Applications and supporting materials
received after the program deadline will be considered on a space-available basis.)
- Admission Requirements
- Tuition and Fees
REQUEST PROGRAM INFORMATION
Julie Zadinsky, PhD, RN
Bridgett Hill, MEd