News In the Department of Surgery
The Department of Surgery (General Surgery, Urology and Plastic Surgery) all had very
successful Residency Match Day with a good proportion of MCG students deciding to
stay at the Medical College of Georgia.
Cardio Thoracic Surgery (Adult and Peds)
- Lyndi Baldy, RN in Cardio Thoracic Surgery received the Patient and Family Centered
Care Award in October 2015.
- Dr. Alan Herline, Chief of MIDDS, is speaking at The American Society of Colon and
Rectal Surgeons. April 30-May 4, 2016, Los Angeles Convention Center.
- Nicole Moore, Bariatric Dietician, has been awarded the Georgia Academy of Nutrition
and Dietetics Outstanding Dietitians of the Year. This is a major recognition of her
herculean efforts to provide consistent and thorough education and counseling to our
- The Department of Surgery had its first MIS Colorectal training workshop for our residents
here at Augusta University. Dr. Daniel Albo was the course director for the MIS Colorectal
Surgery workshop organized in conjunction with the University of Chicago and Rush
- Dr. Daniel Albo was recently elected into the International Society of Surgery and
the International Society of Digestive Surgery.
Dr. Muhammad Saeed has joined our Transplant faculty team as Assistant Professor
- Dr. Steven Holsten has been appointed to the Editorial Board of Greenville Health
System Proceedings, a peer reviewed journal. The journal will consist of 4-5 original
articles, as well as case reports and small series. The first issue is targeted for
- Dr. Steven Holsten is evaluating the use of personal video equipment in the assessment
of bedside procedures performed by resident physicians. The study's main goal is
to provide improved evaluation of resident procedural competence thus improving patient
safety and improving quality of care.
- Dr. Steven Holsten has been selected to participate in the Pipeline II leadership
course for GRU. This course is meant to develop up and coming leaders at Augusta
- Dr. Zach Klaassen, Urology Resident, was named Medical College of Georgia's Resident
of the Year.
- Dr. Joe Fox, Urology Resident, was elected to the AOA Georgia Chapter.
- Dr. Martha Terris, Chief of Urology, will be the visiting professor at the 2016 Leading
Edge Urology: 48th Duke Urologic Assembly & Duke Urologic Cancer Symposium.
- Dr. Zach Klaassen and Dr. Rabii Madi invited to participate in the Journal of Urology's
upcoming Seminars for Potential Reviews to learn about the review and publishing process.
- Dr. Martha Terris is served on the March Nominating Committee for the Southeastern
Section of the American Urological Association.
- 12 acceptances at the Southeast Section of the AUA meeting in Nashville. 10 posters,
1 podium and 1 video.
- The Sexual Medicine Society of North America has named the Male Sexual Medicine Clinical
Prize after Dr. Ronald Lewis.
General Surgery Residents
- Dr. Aaron Bolduc, General Surgery Resident, won 2nd prize in the SAGES national paper
presentation meeting in Boston, MA.
- Drs. Ben Ham, Alicia Vinyard, Jin Sol Oh, Andrew Lawson, James Gable, Brian Bateson,
Caleb Mentzer, Kayla Smith, Patricia Martinez and Morgan Brown all presented at the
Southeastern Surgical Congress.
- Drs. Phuong Pham and Mohamad Masoumy took home 1st place in the overall competition
for peripheral nerve repair skills at the microsurgical peripheral nerve course at
the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. Attendants
of the course were from hand and plastic surgery fellowships all around the country.
2016 Moretz Surgical Society Meeting
- Next meeting is February 17-18, 2017.
- 2016 meeting Dr. Wynn, Dr. MacFadyen, Dr. Engler and Dr. Griffin were inducted into
the Red Coat Society.
- Ben Ham and Randi Lasseter won 1st and 2nd place for their presentations.