What is Oral Medicine?
We use a multidisciplinary approach to expertly diagnose and treat orofacial pain,orofacial
sensory disturbances, and oral mucosal diseases.
Additionally, our doctors collaborate with ll dental disciplines, including periodontics,
endodontics, and oral surgery as well as a number of medical disciplines, such as
ENT, dermatology, oncology, neurology, hematology, radiology, surgery, rheumatology
The specialty of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis and mostly non-surgical management
of oral mucosal diseases (dermatologic diseases of the mouth), orofacial pain, oral
manifestations of systemic diseases, salivary gland disorders, and the dental management
of medically complex patients.
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD)
Symptoms include headaches, stiff or sore jaw, chewing discomfort, and facial and
tooth pain and may be associated with tooth-grinding habits, trouble sleeping, and
muscle stiffness in the neck and shoulders. Whiplash related injuries from motor
vehicle accidents also can be a cause.
- Sensory (neuropathic pain) and Movement Disorders
These include tics, parafunctional disorders, and focal dystonias.
- Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)
This is often affects the tongue, palate, and/or lips and is associated with symptoms
including burning, dryness, and altered taste.
- Taste & Smell Disorders
- Atypical Orofacial and Tooth Pain
- Facial and Trigeminal Neuralgias
- Oral Cancer and Oral Complications from Cancer Treatment
- Oral Changes of Systemic Diseases
- Salivary Gland Dysfunction (Sjogren’s Syndrome and I131)
- Infectious and Inflammatory Conditions
- Viral, Bacterial and Fungal Infections
- Benign Growths of the Oral Cavity
- Canker Sores (Aphthous Ulcers)
- Bad Breath (Halitosis)
- Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
- Sleep Breathing Disorders (Sleep Apnea)
- Oral Mucosal Diseases and Dermatologic Conditions of the oral cavity including Lichen
Planus, Pemphigoid, and Pemphigus
- Migraine and Headache Disorders
- Independent Medical Examinations
To schedule an appointment with one of our specialists, please call Debi Barnes or
Lynne Couture at (706) 721-2607 or visit our website at gru.edu/dentalmedicine.